Travel Opportunities for Students
Please contact me if you have information to add!
- AFS Exchange Program - AFS is a non-profit international exchange organization for students and adults that operates in more than 50 countries, and organizes and supports intercultural learning experiences. Participants live with a host family while attending school or working within a community.
- American Council language study programs all over the world.
- AMIGOS de las Americas With AMIGOS de las Americas, students live and work with community members on projects related to health, construction, or the environment. AMIGOS is one of the most well-established, student-focused international immersion programs around.
- EF: Education First EF offers both traditional educational tours, as well as language immersion, study abroad and student exchange programs. Tours take place both in the United States and around the world.
- Epilogos brings volunteers to El Salvador to work on community projects with focuses such as education, water, and health. These programs are available for youth and adults.
- Experiment in International LivingThe Experiment in International Living offers summer programs for high school students in 27 countries in Europe, the Americas, Africa, Oceania, and Asia.
- Generation Study Abroad: A huge initiative by the Department of State to encourage more students to travel and study. There are a TON of resources and programs here.
- Gilman International Scholarship Program - The Gilman Scholarship Program is open to U.S. citizen undergraduate students who are planning to study abroad. The program aims to diversify the kinds of students who study abroad and the countries and regions where they go.
- Global Routes Offering high school summer programs, Global Routes allows students a chance to live in a homestay in a rural area of one of 13 countries.
- Global Volunteers Global Volunteers engages short-term volunteers in local development projects in 20 different countries worldwide. They offer 150 different service-learning travel opportunities and also have special projects for groups.
- Host a Scholarship Student - Host a visiting student scholar through U.S. Department of State program.
- International Rotary Youth Exchange - Rotary Youth Exchange programs are open to students ages 15-19. To qualify, applicants should
be above-average students who have demonstrated leadership in their community. Candidates should also possess qualities such as flexibility and a willingness to try new things that will enable them to fully experience life in another country.
- Institute of International Education: A huge clearing House of Federal Programs for Student International Travel
- Kennedy Lugar Youth Exchange - The Kennedy-Lugar YES Abroad program, sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, is offering American high school students and recent graduates in the U.S. full scholarships for up to one academic year to live and study abroad in countries with significant Muslim populations.
- National Security Language Initiative for Youth - The National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y), sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, provides full, merit-based scholarships for eligible high school students to learn less commonly taught languages in summer and academic-year overseas immersion programs.
- Omprakash - Volunteer abroad program. This organization hooks you up with an overseas partner and provides some funding.
- Peace Corps- The Peace Corps offers a unique experience to make a difference around the world and bring the benefits of that experience back home. The personal and professional rewards of Peace Corps service last a lifetime.
- ProWorld A unique opportunity for students, Pro World is an organization that sends students to impoverished communities in order to promote social and economic development. The students may volunteer for anywhere from 2 to 48 weeks in a wide range of countries, including Peru, Brazil, Ghana, India and more.
- Rotary International Youth Exchanges Youth Exchange is a study-abroad opportunity for young people who spend anywhere from a few weeks to a full year as an international student hosted by local Rotary clubs.
- United World Colleges - UWC schools, colleges and short programmes offer a transformational educational experience to students aged 2 - 21. Our students come from all over the world.
- Volunteer Abroad Volunteer Abroad is a database of volunteer opportunities around the world. The database is searchable by region or country, type of volunteer work, and project duration. Prospective volunteers can also utilize a free advising service to be matched with a program. There are also job and study opportunities.
- Volunteers for Peace offers placement in international volunteer projects in more than 100 countries around the world. Our projects are part of an international voluntary service movement, where volunteers from multiple countries live together while working to improve local communities.
- World ChallengeWorld Challenge is a UK based program that brings students on expeditions throughout many parts of the world in order to further their personal development. Participating students take on leadership roles, setting the goals for the trip, making all key decisions along the way, and developing important life skills.
- YouThink!This website provides information on a variety of global topics from the environment and health to gender and trade. It discusses their backgrounds, issues surrounding them, and ways to take action. There are sections aimed specifically at students and teachers.
- Youth For Understanding prepares young people for their responsibilities and opportunities in a changing, interdependent world. High school students can participate in over 100 programs to 40 different countries. Youth For Understanding also brings about 2000 international students to the US each year to live with a host family and attend local high schools.